30 December 2014 – &samhoud places
Tunis, 25 January 1988. Mohamed Ali Ben Ghalloum is 9 years old and watching his grandmother perform a show… in the kitchen. She is cutting vegetables, measuring spices and stirring pots while keeping an eye on her 5 grandchildren. Every school day Mohamed and his nieces and nephews go to their grandmother to enjoy a healthy and nutritious lunch. 16 years later the student became the teacher: Mohammed is now one of our talented chefs at &samhoud places.
Mo, as we call him, wants to share and inspire you with a family dish that brings him back to his childhood. After all, food is all about memories and memories are made with your loved ones.
OJJA AUX BOULETTES A LA MO
100 gr. green pepper
150 gr. tomato
2 big onions
1 teaspoon harissa
25 gr tomato purée
2 garlic bulbs
salt & pepper
MEATBALL TUNISIENE STYLE
150 gr minced beef
1 teaspoon caraway
25 gr parsley
5 gr mint
salt & pepper
PREPARE THE MEATBALLS
- Peel the onion and cut it in small pieces.
- Put the minced beef, onion, caraway, parsley and mint in a bowl and mix it. Flavor it with salt and pepper.
- Roll meatballs in the size of a (blue 😉 ) ping pong ball.
- Peel the onions and cut them in half rings.
- Chop the garlic in small pieces and put it together with the onions in a pan (with oil) and fry them for 5 minutes.
- Put the tomatoes, tomato purée and harissa with the onions and leave it on the fire for 15 minutes.
- Take the seeds out of the green pepper and cut it in big pieces. Put it in the pan.
- Throw directly ½ liter water in the pan and wait till it boils.
- Put the meatballs in the sauce, put the sauce on low fire and boil it for 25 to 30 minutes (the meatballs must be cooked). Flavor the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Break the eggs directly in the pan, put the lid on the pan, lower the fire and let it boil for 15 minutes.
Serve the dish with some bread on the side.
In a hurry? Replace the meatballs with Merguez sausages.